New Hall-of-Famers Subject of Philadelphia Art Contest
The members of the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame's 3rd Inductee Class are the subjects of its first annual art contest. With prizes of over $1500.00, the art contest is open to art students and emerging artists in the Philadelphia area. The subject is a team picture of the Hall of Fame’s third class of hall-of-famers, consisting of fifteen all-time Philly sports legends, one team and one venue.
After commissioning a local artist for its first two Inductee classes, the Hall of Fame is initiating this program to allow local artists to gain exposure and compete for substantial prizes.
“We are very excited to offer this contest to the local art community,” says Maureen O’Connell, co-manager of the Hall of Fame’s art contest. “With the number of local art schools and art centers participating, this presents a great opportunity for some local up-and-coming artists to have an original piece added to the Hall of Fame’s permanent collection while gaining exposure and earning a nice monetary prize.”
Guidelines for the contest are as follows:
- Open to art students and emerging artists 18 years of age or older.
- The subject is a team or class picture of the Hall of Fame’s Inductee Class III.
- The entry can be any two-dimensional medium including paint, drawing, charcoal or digital.
- Entries must be approximately 30” x 40”, portrait or landscape.
- Grand prize is $1000, 2nd place is $500 and 3rd place is $100.
- Prizes will be awarded at the Hall of Fame's Annual Induction Ceremony, April 6 at the Sheraton Society Hill.
The members of Inductee Class III include:
Bill Ellerbee (Lifetime Commitment)
Gene Hart (Legacy of Excellence)
Helen Sigel Wilson
Ray Didinger (Legacy of Excellence)
1960 NFL Champion Philadelphia Eagles
The Palestra (Venue Enshrinement)
Images of the Inductees are available at: http://www.phillyhof.org/art/class3images.asp
Complete information about the art contest is available at: http://www.phillyhof.org/art or by calling 215.886.6657 ext. 11.